We face real challenges exist when it comes to raising white children in a society that is full of racial injustice. Should we teach white kids to be “colorblind”? Or, to notice race? What roles do we want them to play in addressing racism when they encounter it? How do we best do that?
In this course you will learn to:
- recognize the impact of "white silence" and develop skills to interrupt it;
- talk about race with white children with curiosity and confidence;
- go beyond "equality" or "colorblindness" and toward race-conscious and justice-conscious ways of engaging children and youth;
- nurture habits in your parenting and caregiving that support antiracist development in the lives of the white children and youth in your life;
- recognize the importance of finding a community of accountability to support your own antiracist commitment as we work together to create a future where all of us can flourish.
*This course can be taken by individuals, or organized as a group experience. Please email for details and discounts for groups of 10 or more.
**A percentage of proceeds from this course are directly passed on to Black- and Latinx-led organizing in Iowa.
Dr. Jennifer Harvey is an award-winning educator and author.
Welcome! I am so excited to share my experience and expertise with you in this course!
I am a teacher, writer, and public speaker. I'm also a mom. My most recent book Raising White Kids: Bringing up Children in a Racially Unjust America brought my longtime experience in multi-racial activism to my journey as a parent. It was 2018 Foreword INDIE GOLD Winner.
I've designed this course to bring messages and skills from that book to this on-line format so we can build our collective capacity for racial justice together.
By the way, I've also published other books and written for the New York Times and CNN. I can be heard frequently on the radio (in 2018 I even got to be a guest on my favorite show, NPR’s “It’s Been a Minute with Sam Sanders”–listen here!).